Wednesday, February 3, 2010

WHERE DOES "THE LAST EAGLE SCOUT" STAND.


I have been getting many inquiries as to where we stand in the making of this film, when it comes to the Boy Scouts and Politics. Some of it has become hate mail, which comes with the territory of making a controversial film. (Some of it is kind of fun to read). Since this is a satire film, it can be fairly blurry what statement is trying to be conveyed, especially in only watching a trailer.

But my objective in making "The Last Eagle Scout" was not to spark controversy, but maybe to start a debate, a discussion. The focus on the film is on political correctness, not the Boy Scouts. I personally love the Boy Scouts. I was never one, mostly because where I lived the leadership wasn't there. But I am a scout master now and have served on many levels in scouting for the past 12 years. Both my sons have been or are now in scouting. I believe in the scout law, motto, oath and so forth. With that in mind, I believe the scouts to be one of the last great institutions for young men.

In the film, the lead scout is pressed to his limits in a "what if" situation to see if he can handle things that go to the extreme. If anything, this film is very pro scouting and pro America. The objective is to show how we, as a country are losing the history, freedom and patriotism that has made this country great in the name of political correctness.

What I am not doing is picking on any one person, party, organization or administration. If a viewer reads into that as satirizing anyone in particular, then so be it. Political Correctness is the antagonist in this film, in the form of some shady characters. And to do that and still carry a story to make it interesting and fun is not easy. But we feel we have done our best.

I hope to have put a few things to rest on the topic. Enjoy the film when it is released.

8 comments:

  1. Do you have examples of losing freedom in the name of political correctness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an active participant in Scouting I have seen some units cease saying prayers to open and close meetings. Instead they hold a reverant "moment." I beleive it is my right or freedom if called upon to deliver a prayer of my choosing. I believe it is also our duty to be respectful of another individual to give a different type of prayer or even for that matter on a given occassion to have a reverant "moment." But to totally do away with all prayers for all meetings is going overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Political Correctness can lead to loss of freedom. Once thoughts and feelings become legislated, then we're in trouble. And yes, I have had personal experiences where my freedom was lost. Many examples you will see in the film. Here is an article I found that was interesting.

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Political-Correctness-Tyrany-or-Freedom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to put in my two cents here. Mr. Goodman wrote the script about 5 years ago. Interesting that a lot of what is in the film is actually happening today. five years ago i would have thought of this as being a comedy adventure. Today PC is giving us terrorist who have constitutional rights?? Our freedoms are eroding away very quickly. Just my thought for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was just wondering where the BSA as an orginization stands on this film. Do they support it? Are they opposed? Or have they just not commented?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question. I approached them with the film last year before shooting and they took a long time to get back to me. Finally, I pinned them down and their PR guy just simply said that they couldn't endorse the film, but they couldn't tell me what to do either.

    I wasn't looking for an endorsement anyway, just letting them know about the film. I deal with the BSA here locally, since I am a scoutmaster, and the local unit loves the idea and has been a big supporter. Some of them even came out for the filming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Goodman,

    Most everyone I have talked to in my section (I am a Section Chief) likes the idea, however I was under the impression that for BSA uniforms to appear in a film you had to have permission? Looks like that was an incorrect assumption on my part. I would like to know how you are going about getting this in theaters. (I have contacts at a few of the local theaters near my city.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1914 Handbook for Scout Masters, Scouts "cannot favor one interest against another and cannot countenance interference on any debatable questions, whether social, religious or political."

    ReplyDelete